Re: rawhide report: 20040128 changes

On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 06:04, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> Office/word-processor apps and other similar desktop apps are key
> applications which play an essential role in people's decisions to
> choose a distribution. Therefore, IMHO, having the freedom of choice on
> them is vital.

I think I'd make a distinction between user-interfacing apps and system
apps when thinking about a "one piece of software for one purpose"
policy.  Knowledgable system administrators who know that their site
needs proftpd rather than vsftpd are probably also knowledgable enough
to go to Fedora Extras, install and configure the it.  Knowledgable
end-users who read reviews of both GNOME and KDE probably don't want to
be bothered to download one of them just to decide which they like more.

As Mike Harris has pointed out, there are other case-by-case rules as
well.  Which shows a flexibility I appreciate in the Fedora Core
developers.

-Toshio
--
Toshio <toshio tiki-lounge com>