rawhide report: 20040128 changes

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Fri Jan 30 07:22:39 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 16:11, Julien Olivier wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 19:55, Dan Williams wrote:
> > You did know that 1.1 starts up in under 10 seconds on a moderately fast
> > machine, right?
>
> On a Fujitsu/Siemens Amilo D laptop with 256 MB of RAM and a P4 2GHZ
> processor running Fedora Core 1, OpenOffice 1.1 takes 67 seconds to
> start on the first time and 33 seconds the second time (after having
> closed it). If you want more information about my hardware, just ask.

I just tried it on this laptop (HP 1.2GHz Athlon-XP w/256GB RAM).  It
took just under 15 seconds for the first load and less than 7 for the
second.

I have noticed that there are plenty of programs which run much more
slowly on P4 systems that I use then on other i686 class machines.  If I
were to guess as to a cause of this, I would pick the "out-of-order"
execution optimizations (among all the other "special" things) that have
not been done specifically for Pentium 4 CPUs for the the i386 packages
that are installed.

Anyway, just a concept.
[SNIP]
--