Upgrade of unmaintained packages

Fri Jan 30 22:32:50 UTC 2004

Le ven, 30/01/2004 à 23:17 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot a écrit :
> Le ven, 30/01/2004 à 16:38 -0500, seth vidal a écrit :
> > >     I forgot to stick a smiley in there somewhere, caught up in
> > > frustration with yum as I was.  :-)
> >
> > so in your ideal world, what is it that yum should do when confronted
> > with a broken dependency or package?
>
> Just skip it for now. (and warn about it)

BTW (and on a somehow related subject)

Sometimes it would really help if yum printed a list of the packages
that were depended upon before the update run, and that are no longer
constitute a dependency afterwards.

This would help with stuff like multi-version libs (libgalXY...). yum
can not remove them automatically, since they can be a valid leaf of the
dependency tree, but the admin can judge if he will still need them
standalone after the update.

I'm sure my setup is full of dead stuff like this that has never been
removed because the dependencies of the libraries can still be satisfied
by my system and I'm too lazy to finecomb rpm -qa output every other
month.

--
Nicolas Mailhot