Upgrade of unmaintained packages

Jim Cornette cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Jan 31 03:05:19 UTC 2004

seth vidal wrote:
>>I think that yum should have a provision that upgrades the packages that
>>the dependencies were all satisfied and then list the unresolved
>>dependencies after the programs that have no problems are installed.
>>

> but you may have to back down those, of course.
>

>>Also, it would be great for yum (and up2date) to be able to skip
>>programs that for some reason give 550 errors on rawhide (noarch, in my
>>case, non-rawhide noarch programs do not give me this error)
>

> what is a 550 error?

With up2date it seems to give me this output.

  up2date man-pages-de

Fetching Obsoletes list for channel: development...

Fetching Obsoletes list for channel: troubled-rpms...

Fetching rpm headers...

Name                                    Version        Rel
man-pages-de                            0.4            6
    noarc h

Testing package set / solving RPM inter-dependencies...
/etc/security/selinux/src/policy/file_contexts/file_contexts: No such
file or di rectory
man-pages-de-0.4-6.noarch.r There was some sort of I/O error: [Errno ftp
error] 550 Failed to change directory.

I just tried yum and it is going through the updating headers process.
It gives a similar error, then dies. (it did bomb out awhile ago, all
better now, see below:)

I checked the mirror that I use with gftp and mc and the files are not
symlinks. There shouldn't be a need to change directories. I have to
download any noarch rpm and it will install when located in a local
directory.

yum finally finished and did complete the transaction. Here is the output.

I will do the following:
[install: man-pages-de 0.4-6.noarch]
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Getting man-pages-de-0.4-6.noarch.rpm
man-pages-de-0.4-6.noarch 100% |=========================| 893 kB    00:02
Running test transaction:
/etc/security/selinux/src/policy/file_contexts/file_contexts: No such
file or directory
Test transaction complete, Success!
/etc/security/selinux/src/policy/file_contexts/file_contexts: No such
file or directory
man-pages-de 100 % done 1/1
Installed:  man-pages-de 0.4-6.noarch
Transaction(s) Complete

What was changed in yum? Or did this error 550 just disappear magically?
If there was a change to yum that corrected this shortcoming, up2date
needs some of the same magic.

Jim

--
"Every morning, I get up and look through the 'Forbes' list of the
richest people in America.  If I'm not there, I go to work"