mplayer vs. xine

Michel Alexandre Salim salimma1 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jan 31 16:18:05 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 09:58 +0000, Geoff Teale wrote:
<snipped>
> A lot of people attribute some of the bad UI's in F/OSS to the lack of
> resources for usability testing on non-commercial projects.  This may be
> true in part, but I see an equal lack of such testing if commercial
> software through a lack of understanding rather than a lack of resource.

Well, the non-F/OSS world invented those look-like-stereo interfaces
(PowerDVD, WinDVD, WinAmp etc.) - the skinned F/OSS projects just copy
them badly :)

Though XMMS is an exception; the default skin is actually very usable.
More than a lot of the fancy skins available online, though at least
they look nice, unlike Xine's default skin..

*ducks*

- Michel