ACPI throttling

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Thu Jul 1 14:58:58 UTC 2004

Harald Hoyer wrote :

> Found no daemon for /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/throttling,
> so I wrote one, which takes the load and the battery status and throttles
> accordingly. You can use the initscript to start and stop it
> automatically. Use the "-d" option to see debugging output.
>
> http://people.redhat.com/harald/acpi/

What is the main difference with the current "cpuspeed" service? Is it the
load part? IIRC, the default /etc/cpuspeed.conf sets the CPU to run at the
lowest speed all the time when running on the battery, and also checks
temperature.

I'm not sure I see the point of checking the load to change the CPU speed,
as many other things than CPU usage can make it increase (disk I/O and
network I/O come to mind). Anyway, the way cpuspeed works with my Centrino
laptop by default is fine for me : 600MHz, and it increases when I start
compiling stuff, then goes down again when it finishes :-)

Matthias

Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang) - Linux kernel 2.6.6-1.435
Load : 0.14 0.37 0.35