Automatic reboot in kernel 2.6.7-1.467

David Chambers davidc at ccmi.salk.edu
Mon Jul 5 20:55:49 UTC 2004

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 09:36:01 +0200
Arjan van de Ven <arjanv at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2004-07-04 at 22:05, David Chambers wrote:
> > Starting with  2.6.7-1.469 src.rpm, I systematically turned likely things off or on in the .config.
> >
> > change CONFIG_X86_4G=y
> > # CONFIG_X86_4G is not set
> > and rebuild.
> >
> > This single change fixes
>

> hmmmm odd....
> # uname -a
> Linux expressive 2.6.7-1.469smp #1 SMP Sat Jul 3 04:01:26 EDT 2004 i686
> i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>

> it boots just fine for me.....
> I wonder what is different between your and my situation to cause this
> difference in behavior

FWIW I captured all the kernel startup messages via serial console - attached.  the last messages I see are

    ACPI: (supports S0 S1 S4 S5)
    md: Autodetecting RAID arrays.
    md: autorun ...
    md: ... autorun DONE.
    VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
    Red

If my interpretation of /var/log/messages is correct, instead of seeing "Red" (no pun intended :-), I should have seen "SCSI subsystem initialized"

Bothersome!

- David