FC3 request (MonitorDB)

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Jul 6 21:29:54 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 19:27 -0700, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> --On Friday, July 02, 2004 4:12 PM +0100 Nando <nandox7 at myrealbox.com>
> wrote:
>
> > A tool to parse and read info from monitors .inf files, even during
> > installation process. (New monitors are comming up everyday)
> > and include in this a feature to upload to a central database would be
> > awesome. :)
>
> How about converting MonitorDB, currently a flat file owned by the hwdata
> package, to a directory? This would allow other packages to update the
> monitor list, and vendors could easily provide their own files to do this.
> Or one could simply drop .inf files into this directory and some external
> utility would recreate the existing file as an output, not part of a
> package, seeded by the current values.
>
> What packages consume MonitorDB as an input?

Just (basically) anaconda and system-config-display afaik.  And they
both do it through a common backend in the rhpl package.

Note that I'd do the optimization of "have the MonitorsDB file and a
directory for additions/overrides" since that'll make things start up a
lot faster (opening lots of little files is slow)

Jeremy