Browsers [was: Fedora Core 3]

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Tue Jul 6 22:05:49 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 12:33:38PM -0700, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> Nobody's saying to remove all browsers from core, but to allow switching
> of the main browser with /etc/alternatives, which is a mechanism having
> nothing to do with core, extras or alternatives.  They just happen to be
> named similarly...

I don't know if you've looked at the Fedora Extras Firefox package, but it's
nicely integrated so that in Gnome, you can choose it as a 'preferred web
browser', and you get it instead of Mozilla when you hit the web browser
button or any other time Gnome wants to show a web page.

Unlike /etc/alternatives, this is a per user choice, which makes more sense
for an application like this.