udev in initrd

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Thu Jul 8 08:01:27 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 06:50:36PM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Owen Taylor (otaylor at redhat.com) said:
> > The value of it on the case of the writable root filesystem is that
> > you only have one path for how the system works, not two. Changes
> > to device naming only have to be put into one place. Eventually we
> > can simple drop the dev package and it's 18,000 files.
>
> The issue here is that it's not *that* simple, once you
> start handling all the devices that aren't in sysfs. Moreover,
> it breaks the 'load module on device access' model.

We've been breaking that in the kernel for years now (look at the shared
major numbers for the USB core as an example).  And we have stated that
this will continue in the future, as we have shifted to a "load module
on device detection" model.

> Going to a fully dynamic /dev is a paradigm shift, even if you
> keep the same device naming model.

It shouldn't have to be.  The default udev naming rules are dirt simple,
with no script callouts and work for the LANNANA device model today.

thanks,

greg k-h