What makes a package nominated for Core? (was: nominate for removal: ethereal)

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 15:15:50 UTC 2004

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 17:08:25 +0200, Axel Thimm <axel.thimm at atrpms.net> wrote:
> What is really the criterion/policy for deciding to add to Core (and
> thus the CD/DVD distribution) or not?

You ask only half a question. Just as important if not more important
at this point is criteria for moving packages out of Core and into
Extras.  From the discussion I've seen, there is a significant
pressure to keep Core from bloating into the 5+ disks. In fact i think
moving to 4 disks has probably raised some subconcious red alerts. I
think there needs to be a target Core distribution size set, then
criteria for pushing packages out of Core into Extras to get Core down
belong that target size...then we can talk about criteria for
nominating packages for Core, that goes beyond the very inefficient
package by package case by case discussion that sort of has to happen
now.

-jef