What makes a package nominated for Core? (was: nominate for removal: ethereal)

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 15:32:12 UTC 2004

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 10:26:58 -0400, Tim Daly <daly at rio.sci.ccny.cuny.edu> wrote:
> Not to get political about the whole thing but would it be worthwhile
> to try to align the packages in Core with other distributions? That
> way people can begin to expect that certain packages will exist in
> every GNU/Linux distribution by default. Besides, we can always
> "cite authority" (THEY do it) as a reason :-)

Unless there is an actual standardization agreement about packaging
that all distros can work to comply with..i see no reason to make any
sort of promise to the community that this is going to happen.  And
I'm pretty sure the LSB isn't ready to tackle this level of detail,
but if you want to get invovled the on going LSB discussion by all
means, get invovled.

-jef