Major number in library package names

Toshio toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Fri Jul 16 02:24:20 UTC 2004

I ran rpmlint on the qof library package I just made and had it tell me:

qof-0.5.0:
  E: qof incoherent-version-in-name 0.5.0
  The package name should contain the major version of the library.

qof-devel-0.5.0:
  W: qof-devel no-major-in-name qof-devel
  The major number of the library isn't contained in the package name.

What do people think?  Is it good practice to include the major number
in the name of the package (qof0-0.5.0 similar to gtkhtml3 and db4) or
is this just rpmlint being overzealous?

-Toshio
--
  t  o  s  h  i  o  +  t  i  k  i  -  l  o  u  n  g  e  .  c  o  m