s390 lcs kernel module problem

Karsten Hopp karsten at redhat.com
Sat Jul 17 12:11:40 UTC 2004

On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 01:46:41PM +0200, Matthias Saou wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to fool around with hercules to get an emulated s390 system
> running and play around with it, unfortunately I'm not able to get the CTCI
> networking working (attempted to kill init, it worked with Red Hat Linux
> 7.2, doesn't with Fedora Core Development), so I decided to give LCS a try,
> as FC says it supports it, unfortunately, it looks like the lcs kernel
> module has a problem :
>
> lcs: Unknown symbol cu3088_type
> lcs: Unknown symbol unregister_cu3088_discipline
> lcs: Unknown symbol register_cu3088_discipline
>
> This looks like a bug, one that doesn't bite many people, though ;-)
> The running kernel is 2.6.7-1.492.

That's a bug in the linuxrc which loads the modules and sets up the initial
network before anaconda starts.
I wasn't aware that the lcs module has picked up a dependency on the cu3088
module, fixed in CVS. Thanks for finding and reporting this !

Workaround for now:
 insmod cu3088.ko   before you enter the network parameters.

   Karsten

--
 Karsten Hopp <karsten at redhat.de>   GPG 1024D/70ABD02C
 Fingerprint D2D4 3B6B 2DE4 464C A432 210A DFF8 A140 70AB D02C