Definition of Open Source [was Re: pine: UW permission to distribute]

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Tue Jul 20 15:39:24 UTC 2004

Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
> Hello Rex,
>

>>And that's why I've been harping on what definition of opensource Fedora
>>uses.  No one has yet to (officially) clarify that.
>

> Indeed I cannot find an official definition of the term Open Source as
> used for the Fedora Project on the Fedora Red Hat pages or on the Fedora
> US pages. It is probably a good idea to make explicit which definition
> is used.
>
> However, the permission granted by UW to you does not suffice to satisfy
> the (what I believe to be the) general definition of open source
> software, which means the right to redistribute with any modification.

That's your opinion.  My opinion is that opensource implies only that
you have access to the source and rights to with it (mostly) as you
like, which doesn't necessarily imply any sort of binary redistribution
right.

Of course, neither of our (or anyone's not officially representing
Fedora) opinions mean squat.

-- Rex