Definition of Open Source [was Re: pine: UW permission to distribute]

Leonard den Ottolander leonard at den.ottolander.nl
Tue Jul 20 19:40:50 UTC 2004

Hello Havoc,

> > It is probably a good idea to make explicit which definition is used.
>
> We have discussed in the past using the intersection of the open source
> definition from opensource.org and the free software definition from
> gnu.org, which means "only software the two major definitions agree is
> open/free"

Right.

> Anyway, we should not turn this list into a gnu.misc.discuss type of
> morass

That was not my intention. I don't need to hear for the 100th time that
Rui prefers the term Free Software either ;-). All I asked for is to
make it explicit which definition is used by the Fedora Project. Please
put it in writing and publish it somewhere at http://fedora.redhat.com
and/or http://www.fedora.us.

Leonard.