Definition of Open Source [was Re: pine: UW permission to distribute]

Leonard den Ottolander leonard at den.ottolander.nl
Wed Jul 21 14:15:43 UTC 2004

Hi Warren,

> > Now you tell us. Is this in COPYING? Such deals should be made explicit
> > to the user to avoid inadvertent violations.
> >

> Not our problem.

Sorry to say so, but I don't like that attitude. But then you make up
for it below. In a cooperative environment it is usually a good idea to
dare to take a little more responsibility then strictly required.

> Firefox team's responsibility to enforce their own trademark.

It's not so much about the Firefox team enforcing its trademark as it is
about avoiding your users inadvertently distribute without permission.

> I suppose as a courtesy we should add a %doc TRADEMARK file that
> explains the rules, and it should be commented in the .spec file.  While
> we are probably not obligated to do so, it wouldn't hurt to add it to
> the next revision of firefox.

Courtesy make the world a better place :) . Thanks.

Leonard.