IDEA: Shortening boot-time

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Fri Jul 23 19:28:21 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 03:16:50PM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> The last time this was tried, the total speedup was on the order of
> 10% or so. Perhaps it's changed, but it wasn't a extreme speedup.

Yeah, I remember that. But hey, I'll take 10%. And it's probably somewhat
more on SMP and hyperthreading system.

And really, speedup and parallelization is only an incidental benefit --
it'd be nice for services to know what they need before they start, rather
than depending on magic number ordering.