PROPOSAL: Core size reduction "bug day"

David Nielsen dnielsen at breakmygentoo.net
Sat Jul 24 00:28:02 UTC 2004

As everyone probably knows a few days ago a suggestion was brought up
that we start moving none essential stuff like KDE, XFce and a lot of
the other duplication into Extras in order to reduce the size of Core.

I'm hereby proposing we hold a bug day on IRC, Saturday the 31th to
debate the possibility of such an action and which programs to move in
that is the case.

So far people have express a desire to move:
KDE
XFce
Balsa
Ethereal
Xmms
Eye of GNOME
GNOME Office

Expression of wondering was made over the following areas in terms of
duplication:

MTA

(as I recall at least, list might be inaccurate)

Remember moving software to Core does not mean eliminating choice, you
are still free to use the Extra repo, it means strenghting the defaults.

- David *there's ample time to shoot the messenger* Nielsen