PROPOSAL: Core size reduction "bug day"

David Nielsen dnielsen at breakmygentoo.net
Sat Jul 24 01:16:27 UTC 2004

On fre, 2004-07-23 at 20:57 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 20:28, David Nielsen wrote:
> > As everyone probably knows a few days ago a suggestion was brought up
> > that we start moving none essential stuff like KDE, XFce and a lot of
> > the other duplication into Extras in order to reduce the size of Core.
> >
> > I'm hereby proposing we hold a bug day on IRC, Saturday the 31th to
> > debate the possibility of such an action and which programs to move in
> > that is the case.
> >

> Some ways to define core that might avoid package-by-package debate:
>
>  - only things in the default workstation/server installs
>  - only things that are included in Red Hat Enterprise Linux
>    (don't know if this is sensible, but it might be)
>
> I do agree with the person who suggested keeping Core as-is until Extras
> is really just as good as Core (which means same repository, bug
> tracker, etc. for Extras as Core).
>
> Havoc

But is there actually any work going on in this area or is this one of
those chicken and egg things, Extras task has not been clearly defined
and we won't define it since there is no real Extras to relate to.

Either way we should start to seriously debate what tasks Core needs to
do, and work to avoid duplication in task completion.

- David