IDEA: Shortening boot-time

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Sat Jul 24 07:18:20 UTC 2004

Thanks for all the reactions, below I'll react to the interesting ones:

-no I haven't timed this yett, but making gdm start before things like
network, sendmail, anacron, cups, etc should really speed things up (i
think). If there is genuine interest in this, which there seems to be
I'll write some initial test patches.
-about the preload work / multithreaded patches. Those are real
optmizations, which require lott of work and add a lott of complexity,
thats not what this is about. Havoc understands what I want todo, this
is not about actually speeding up the boot process, this is about giving
the user soemthing to laak at /type in ASAP, and then start things like
networking, cups etc after this.

Regards,

Hans

--