PROPOSAL: Core size reduction "bug day"

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Sat Jul 24 20:40:38 UTC 2004

Marius Andreiana wrote:

>On Sat, 2004-07-24 at 13:21 +0000, Willem Riede wrote:
>

>>Right. And because there could be rpm dependencies between packages from
>>the "old" Extras on the "old" Core, that might not be satisfied by the
>>"new" Core post-upgrade, there ought to be a really convenient way to
>>upgrade Extras at the same time, either by Anaconda itself or by
>>firstboot-after-upgrade.
>>

>Remember that not everyone has internet access. The Core should work by
>itself, no internet access require to have a full install working from
>core CDs.

That's one of my biggest concerns.. Take for example KDE , which people
suggested going to extras. I know many KDE users with dialup connections
(which is very common here in Brazil). Usually they get their install
media from a friend who has broadband connection (or buy the cds online)
and they dont want to download anything else besides the security
updates. For them , downloading all the KDE rpms would be something very
hard.
One thing that would be interesting would be anaconda (or firstboot)
supporting the extra CDs. Then , those who want KDE download the core
CDs and the Extras CD that contains KDE.
I agree with what someone said before on this thread. To reduce Core ,
we need :
1 - to find what is used by a great part of the users and what is
considered a niche software.
2 - define the use of Core. (If it's a desktop install , workstation,
server , etc) .

With these two things , we can then create a policy to decide what goes
into and what leaves the Core cds...

--
Pedro Macedo