IDEA: Shortening boot-time

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Mon Jul 26 17:59:22 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 07:59:24PM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> new HW probing in 2 scans:
> -first quick scan:
>  -keyb and mouse available

Which reminds me of a comment Arjan made - kudzu should probably skip serial
mouse probing if it found a usb or ps2 mouse.

> A better fix to the whole usb thing however would be for the kernel usb
> system to be able to tell userland that the initial usb enumeration is
> done and use this completion signal instead of the ridiculous sleep.
> Alan is this possible?

You can run the entire usb setup asynchronously if you want (the sleep
included). There are certain things the kernel does partially serialize
like scsi enumerators that limit parallelising but I don't see any in USB