IDEA: Shortening boot-time

Mark Lane mark at harddata.com
Mon Jul 26 08:05:40 UTC 2004

On July 24, 2004 05:03 am, Russell Coker <russell at coker.com.au> wrote:
> Last time I did some tests on Linux software RAID I found that it was
> lacking in this regard.  I would have hoped to see some read benchmarks
> showing that a RAID-1 with two disks is nearly twice as fast as a single
> disk, however I didn't find any test that showed such a result or anything
> close to it. Optimising the read performance of Linux software RAID is one
> thing that can be done to improve such things (and generally improve all
> Linux performance).

You actually expect to get twice the performance out of a RAID 1 array in
software RAID? First of all writes are not going to be any faster than a
single drive and could be slower depending on your hardware. Reads could be
faster depending on you hardware but twice? Only very highend (expensive)
SCSI raid cards do that and only theoretically. Practically you won't get
twice the performance.

regards,
Mark Lane, CET mailto:mark at harddata.com
Hard Data Ltd. http://www.harddata.com
T: 01-780-456-9771   F: 01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue Edmonton, AB, Canada, T5X 1Y3
--> Ask me about our Excellent 1U Systems! <--