Status and outlook of LSB and FHS compliance of Fedora.

Thu Jun 3 14:05:46 UTC 2004

Le jeu, 03/06/2004 à 08:46 -0500, Chris Adams a écrit :
> Once upon a time, Phil Knirsch <pknirsch at redhat.com> said:
> > I came up with a small list of packages that, due to the change in the
> > latest FHS-2.3 and the addition of /srv and /media would seem likely
> > candidates for partiall data migration to /srv:
>
> I think this new top-level directory is doomed to failure.  For one
> thing, for a well set-up server, you'll need /srv to be on a separate
> partition from /.  Since you already need separate partitions for /usr,
> /var, /home, /tmp, and (in some places) /usr/local, you really don't
> want a new top-level directory.  The first thing I'd probably do is make
> /srv a symlink to /var/srv, /usr/local/srv, or some such.

On a well set-up server you *already* have something that serves
as /srv/, except it is not standard and a PITA to maintain (some apps
use /home/something, others /var/www, /var/export, /var/lib/ other dump
stuff in opt etc)

I would be a big relief to have a standard place to dump all user data
files (ftp/http/cifs/databases/mails) instead of the current mess.

Of course it will take time to be adopted. Of course it will involve
compat symlinks for a few years. But you know you could have made this
very same argument three years ago and I'd have now a clean solution
instead of looking forward at perpetuating compat symlinks for the next
servers I'll set up this year.

Some form of srv is needed. Maybe not on big dedicated servers, but all
small multipurpose departemental servers you feel the pain of apps not
agreeing where the big data partition is supposed to live.

Regrads,

--
Nicolas Mailhot