Status and outlook of LSB and FHS compliance of Fedora.

Phil Knirsch pknirsch at redhat.com
Fri Jun 4 10:00:34 UTC 2004

Doncho N. Gunchev wrote:

>     Ah, why nobody reads release notes? They saved me so much time...
>     /If nothing else works, read the manual :)/
>

>     What about *SLOW* migration (if it should happen)? FC3 could have /svr
> with symlinks to the old /var locations and only some things like
> /var/www/{icons,error,manual} moved there (if moved at all) plus a release
> note about this. The next FC4 could have everything migrated there and
> symlinks in the old location and so on and so on... Maybe symlinks are
> not the best choice, but many bind mounts (could solve some issues with
> backup scripts) could make things a little bit messy?
>     BTW: what is really supposed to remain in /var - only run, lib, lock,
> log and tmp? Only files that the user should not touch and need or?

That was one of the main reasons for not putting now too much into /srv
at first. A slow migration will allow things to get sorted out and see
if people like the idea in general.

This is not a revolution, it's an evolution where the LSB and the FHS
try to put a little more sense and structure into a filesystem
hierarchie that has grown over the last 20-30 years and which is bound
to have some archaic and arguably wrong places where to put stuff.

And belive me, you don't want to sit in my/our chair if we move httpd
from /var/www and it breaks only for 1% of our customers. :-)

Read ya, Phil

--
Philipp Knirsch      | Tel.:  +49-711-96437-470
Development          | Fax.:  +49-711-96437-111