Status and outlook of LSB and FHS compliance of Fedora.

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Fri Jun 4 13:45:18 UTC 2004

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, Phil Knirsch wrote:

> That was one of the main reasons for not putting now too much into /srv
> at first. A slow migration will allow things to get sorted out and see
> if people like the idea in general.
>
> This is not a revolution, it's an evolution where the LSB and the FHS
> try to put a little more sense and structure into a filesystem
> hierarchy that has grown over the last 20-30 years and which is bound
> to have some archaic and arguably wrong places where to put stuff.
>
> And believe me, you don't want to sit in my/our chair if we move httpd
> from /var/www and it breaks only for 1% of our customers. :-)

You mean like when you mv'd it from /home/www to /var/www? I seem to remember
going through this a few years ago. :-( That is my fear with all of this.
This year it is /var/www, next year it is /srv. Where will someone want to
put it in another 2 or 3 years? I am all for standardization but if someone
keeps changing the standards, IMO we are no better off then when we did not
have a standard. Where does this stop?

Ok, so lets say you make the change on FC, are you also going to make the
same change for RHEL4 or are we going to have to remember things like on FC
it is in /srv/something and on RHEL it is in /var/something?

Regards,

Tom