kernel module packages

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Sat Jun 5 16:49:46 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-04 at 21:13, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

> I've incorporated the feedback I received on my kernel module packaging
> proposal and rebuilt the -devel package as well as the kernel modules.

Some observations, with the caveat that I haven't found time to dig too
deep into this yet.

General documentation how to modify a upstream tarball to use the
autotools stuff, and overall module packaging guidelines would be
welcome.  There's the outdated draft in fedora.us Wiki which could be
updated.

smp is not the only kernel "variant".  There is also at least BOOT,
bigmem, hugemem, debug, enterprise and uml in various distro versions.

Instead of bundling the m4/as-*.m4 in every package's *-autotools.patch,
it would be better to provide them in an external package which the
build depends on, for example fedora-rpmdevtools.

How to create a new kernel-module-devel package?  At least it needs to
be documented, even better if scripted; that'd also make source
verification easier.