Why are there only i686 and i586 Version of glibc and kernel?-- not "lite" (386/486 @ 400MHz+, 256MB RAM)

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Sun Jun 6 17:39:50 UTC 2004

On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 01:19:54PM -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 12:09:36 -0500, Crutcher Dunnavant
> <crutcher at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > A great part of the scientific and educational apps in the wild are
> > written in TCL. To drop TCL would be to drop support for much of the
> > academic user base's homebrew.
>
> IF the discussion going forward is going to center on the debate on
> how to slim core down and use extras to suppliment a slimmer core....
> dropping tcl in Core and moving it into Extras makes a lot of sense.
> I'm a firm believer that if Core is really going to become a general
> purpose operating system as stated in the objective list for the
> project, things that cater specifical to niche groups have to be
> pulled out of Core and into Extras.

Tcl and Tk don't "cater specifical to niche groups". Tcl/Tk is used by
uncountable projects, for system administration, data base, scientific,
etc.

> If general purpose is the
> goal....the pendatic needs of scientific computing users are niche. If
> general purpose is the goal...then even the pedantic needs of
> developers are niche.

Sure. A compiler is definitive a developer niche. Why do FC ship one?

> There's no reason we need to keep all of these
> niche tools and libs in Core, when Extras is meant to be there to
> suppliment Core as part of a larger Fedora Project.

I don't see as support for a common used scripting language should be
delegated to a 3rd party (as it is now).

Regards,
Luciano Rocha

--
Consciousness: that annoying time between naps.