Shrinking/splitting up core Was: Why are there only i686 and i586 Version of glibc...

Wed Jun 9 05:33:39 UTC 2004

Le mar, 08/06/2004 à 18:36 -0400, Alan Cox a écrit :
> On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 06:18:54PM -0400, Willem Riede wrote:
> > Because I am talking about the case where e.g. glibc changes in a way that needs
> > changes in applications to make them work again. Since with a mini-core most of
> > the applications will not be in core, but in extra's, they wouldn't be upgraded
> > when you do the core upgrade, and therefore not work afterwards. QED.
>
> That will always happen for third party apps and is unfixable (non US people
> can in some cases install software which is prohibited in the USA,
> Red Hat cannot ship such software).
>
> So what happens in the actual world is what happens in Debian in this
> situation. After feeding your computer update CD's you ask the yum/apt tools
> to do the rest of the work.

Well, you need a one-phase update with anaconda taking packages from the
cds and completing it with yumable user-provided sources.

Else you can not perform updates if core is real small unless you tell
rpm to overlook deps on most of the installed system packages, which
would be real bad. Yum/apt is already borderline better at upgrading a
system that anaconda, with a small core / cd only update system I don't
see who would be mad enough to trust the on-cd updater.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot