Shrinking/splitting up core -- New tag, instead of modifying Core

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed Jun 9 13:23:33 UTC 2004

William Riede wrote:
> Understood. But for that to start happening for applications that are
> now part of the standard distribution, but wouldn't be in a slimmed
> down core is a major setback in my opinion. I can only see the
> downside of reducing core, no upside.
> I guess I'll just have to agree to disagree with those that hold the
> opposite view.

And I agree.
That's why I was advocating that Fedora "Core" _not_ be touched.
But we create a new "tag" and give people the option to start from there.

Instead of doing #1 in this post:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-June/msg00295.html

I saw we don't touch Fedora "Core."
We just create something anew, but leave "Core" for compatibility.

Bryan J. Smith, E.I. -- b.j.smith at ieee.org