Kernel Stack Sizes

Per Bjornsson perbj at stanford.edu
Thu Jun 17 16:41:19 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 08:59, Steve Brenneis wrote:
> See my earlier reply. The drivers were posted in May and there is no
> support for anything older than the 8500. No joy. Thanks anyway.

1) You're looking at the latest update time. There have been drivers
available for well over a year, and drivers for the FireGL cards (that
actually could be gotten to work with the Radeon 8500 in many cases)
significantly longer than that.

2) Why don't the open source DRI drivers do OK with your card if it's
not the latest and greatest (they support everything < Radeon 9200)?
They do with mine... They were written with docs from ATI. So in fact
ATI isn't really that great a case at all; they handed out documentation
for their earlier cards, and contribute to the open-source 2D driver
which supports the recent cards. The bad part of their behavior is all
about the non-open-source and slow-to-be-updated driver for their recent
cards.

Now Broadcom, on the other hand, does deserve some scorn. It seems that
they _have_ written a Linux driver since there are WiFi access points
running Linux that utilize Broadcom chipsets (and for WiFi the chipsets
in the access point and the client cards are similar in not identical),
they just don't want to release it for PC use.

Best regards,
Per

--
Per Bjornsson <perbj at stanford.edu>
Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Applied Physics, Stanford University