how to override kernel modules?

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Fri Jun 18 19:25:22 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-18 at 02:04, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> Hi Fernando,

Hi and thanks for the newer patch (and taking a look at my code)!

> > > This was done as a patch to modutils that it doesn't appear we've done
> > > any sort of analog for in module-init-tools.  This would be a bug --
> > > could you file in bugzilla that module-init-tools doesn't look in the
> > > updates directory first so that this doesn't get lost?
> >
> > Ok, filed as Bug 125990. I'll try for a better patch than what I posted
> > to the list before so that "updates/" is singled out specifically (to
> > mantain compatibility with the 2.4.x behavior).
>
> I think your patch had a few problems.

Yes (the second patch I posted), it did not remove duplicate entries
from the list and did not address the modinfo utility.

> It seemed to me like the list of
> modules you get from updates clobbers the list pointer you already got
> from the whole tree, losing the original tree completely.

Does not seem to happen here (I still get all original modules listed in
modules.dep - otherwise my machine would not have been able to connect
to the network after a reboot, it would not have found the module for
eth0). The second call to grab_dir does not clobber or reinitialize the
list, grab_module merely keeps adding new nodes to the beginning of the
(old) list just like when it is recursing inside subdirectories (as far
as I can tell). Except for the duplicates it worked fine in my tests.

> I've given it a go and have created a working patch which I tested in
> various conditions.
>
> Patch is at
> http://thomas.apestaart.org/download/patches/modutils/module-init-tools-update/
> and an updated RPM at
> http://thomas.apestaart.org/download/pkg/fedora-2-i386-fedora-stable/modutils-2.4.26-16.fdr.2.2/
>
> Please check if this works for you.

Yes, it seems to work fine here (and looks fine after a cursory
reading). Duplicate entries in modules.dep are properly removed and
"updates/" is now overriding the built-in alsa modules (that is what I
needed this for).

> I've also commented on the bug you entered in RH's bugzilla.
>
> Jeremy Katz has also tested the patch.

Thanks!
-- Fernando