No more kernel-source(code) ??? (was: rawhide report: 20040623 changes)

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Thu Jun 24 00:25:12 UTC 2004

Hi,
> While I'm far from an expert, the headers needed to build 3rd party
> modules are now packaged with the kernel proper (that's one reason
> it's taking so long to install a new kernel nowadays).

Looks to me like the main reason it's taking so long is because kernel
post scripts run "hardlink" which is not documented and has no help
output.  But judging by the name, the arguments it takes, and where it's
run, I'd bet good money on conjecturing that it is a script that given a
path or set of paths figures out all the files are the same, then
hardlinks one to the other, thus saving space.

Personally I don't think the benefit of saving space outweighs the
tremendous amount of time this takes, and I can't imagine it having very
much benefit if the kernel version and release of the files being
evualuated aren't exactly the same.  Just my idea though.

Thomas

Xander : "We kind of have a romantic evening planned."
Anya : "We were gonna light a bunch of candles and have sex near them."