Unnanounced migration phase at its end, non-transparency, "open" community project ... (was: No more kernel-source(code) ???)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Jun 25 21:29:27 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 06:05:19PM -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Jun 25, 2004, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net> wrote:
> > You obviously missed it, but there was a change some weeks back
> > consolidating N to 1 noarch packages
>
> Unfortunately rsync is dumb enough to transfer the hard-linked file
> multiple times, and only then hard-link it.  Remains to be determined
> whether this is because I prime my local tree by hard-linking files
> that exist only in the remote tree with rpms of different versions of
> the same package, which sometimes saves a bit of downloads.

rsync does not retrieve the second and upwards copy of the same link
with -H. If you extend your rsyncing to more areas which contain
partially hard linked files to already downloaded, and rsync happens
to traverse the new area _first_, then it will download it (it does
not do two passes for this). But this will happen only on subscribing
to new folder in rsyncing, subsequent rsync will do the right thing.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net