Packaging: Where to install demo apps to?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Jun 29 17:05:09 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-29 at 18:36, Gérard Milmeister wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-06-29 at 18:17, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-06-29 at 10:59, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> >
> > > IMO, they should not be installed to bindir (/usr/bin), because these
> > > applications are "not really useful".
> Are these binaries from code examples for some library or similar?
Yes. Most of them are coding examples for a library, very few of them
are actual "usable sample applications".

> If yes, it might make better sense not to include the binaries, but
> only
> the source code in /usr/share/doc/<package-name>-demos-<ver>
> and make sure there is a functioning Makefile to build the binaries,
> i.e. allow the user to 'cp -a
> /usr/share/doc/<package-name>-demos-<ver>
> .' and then make.
I had considered this, but  implementing this would require substantial
effort (The package uses a bizarre and complex GNUmakefile system and
supports building the example code only as part of the complete
source-tree.)

Meanwhile I have checked what Debian does with this particular package:
* They do not ship the coding examples
* They install the sample-applications to /usr/lib/<package>

Ralf