Multiboot with linux server, fedora and w2k server

Jim Cornette cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Mar 2 12:30:55 UTC 2004

Tat Nam wrote:

>Hi,
>	I've a hard drive of 60GMB and have already installed Windows 2000 server
>and Linux 9 server.  GRUB is the boot loader.  Recently, I bought a new hard
>drive of 120GMB in size and installed it into the system in order to install
>Fedora project.  I intended to make the system to make a multiboot and
>enable me to select among W2K server, Linux 9 server and Fedora.
>
>	However, all papers on the net talking about dual boot,   does anybody
>have a method to do the multiboot with GRUB?
>

>	Thanks in advance.
>

>--
>Nam, Tat

I have a system that I triple boot. I find it easy to manage if I
install grub on hda1 for one installation. (installation 1). Then on
installation 2, I install grub on /dev/hdb1.

Then finally, I install a third OS on the machine and install that in
the MBR.

You want to run grub-install /dev/hdx1 for each non-dozer installation.

Basically, you want three different /boot partitions, one for each
installation. Then you want to chainload the installation on /dev/hda1
and /dev/hdb1 from your third grub.conf file.

This setup method allows each grub to maintained properly from it's own
environment. Updating a kernel on the hda1 system and updating the
system on hdb1 should not conflict and other than having to select the
chainloader in the third installation. There is very little manual
editing needed.

I'm on a different computer now. There are samples submited on the
regular list for this concept. It can be done.

Jim