A friendly reminder from translators

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Wed Mar 3 09:08:51 UTC 2004

Hi Sarah,

On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 22:55, Sarah Wang wrote:
> Miloslav Trmac wrote:

> > Changing this to the GNOME-like "developers don't care as long as
> > translators have commit access and don't break anything" style
> > is something I'd like to propose later, if I find the time to work on it.
>
> I don't really agree with "developer don't care" attitude. I believe
> developers should have internationalization process in their mindset.
> After all, the world we are living in is getting increasingly globalized
> - can we afford not to think outside of the square we live in?

	I think what Miloslav is referring to is that GNOME developers don't
really need to be aware of any details of the *localisation" process.
Translators do their thing and developers don't have to worry about
things like updating PO files etc. etc.

	However, GNOME developers *do* very much care about
internationalisation and there is a very good working relationship
between GNOME's i18n people and the developers when it comes to
resolving i18n issues like making strings easier to translate,
conforming to terminology guidelines or making sure all messages are
available for translation.

	The GNOME i18n project has provided a useful set of guidelines which
most developers are well aware of:

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/tutorials/gnome-i18n/developer.html

	So, there is certainly a line between what developers should need to
care about and what they shouldn't need to care about.

Good Luck,
Mark.