In the service of Aunt Tillie -- Zero-configuration networking

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Wed Mar 3 10:42:44 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 01:29, Chris Ricker wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > Rendezvous is Apple's name for their version of it. A trademark is much less
> > of a problem because you can name yours something different.
>
> Right, but the only open-source mDNS implementation I know of is Rendezvous,
> so between that and MS's patents AFAIK it's just another idea without a
> usable open-source implementation for Fedora to even consider shipping....

There is some initial mDNS implementation work in gnome cvs, in the
"gmdns" module. I don't know the status or quality of this
implementation, but I hope that eventually I'd somehow be able to use it
for the gnome-vfs network:// module (availible from the Nautilus
Computer location) so that i can show e.g. local DAV servers (i.e. like
osx rendezvous).

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's an all-American dishevelled master criminal for the 21st century. She's a
foxy bisexual safe cracker from a different time and place. They fight crime!