Java in Fedora

Paul Nasrat pauln at truemesh.com
Wed Mar 24 14:43:08 UTC 2004

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 01:57:48PM +0000, Carwyn Edwards wrote:

> Where can I find more info about the thinking behind how Java
> applications like ant/tomcat/xerces etc are being added to FC? We
> Currently use Jpackage.org for all our Java packages but it seems that
> with FC2 onwards there are going to be horrible package conflicts.

> Is there any cooperation or plan in relation to this? As and end user
> it's imperative for me that I should at least be able to plug in either
> of the Sun/Blackdown/IBM sdks and get a full SDK runtime/toolset.

I know most Gary Benson who hosted naoko repository has talked with JPackage in
the past.  Sadly I think it's been a case of time on all sides.  I've tried to
follow the gcj/rhug/naoko stuff on one machine in addition to JPackage but
haven't run a hybrid system other than extra JPackage packages through gij
ontop of native packages.

We still have test2 and test3 to get this right, and we've just started to see
feedback on users on the jpackage list.  Lets choose a forum and try to look at
the issues and needs of both sides.

There is also the native eclipse project which seems seperate too naoko, which
JPackage need to factor in.  I'd guess the key Red Hat people are:

jhealy - Eclipse
gbenson - Naoko
green, tromey - RHUG in general
fnasser - FC java