Java in Fedora

Paul Nasrat pauln at truemesh.com
Thu Mar 25 11:33:40 UTC 2004

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 01:32:05AM -1000, Warren Togami wrote:
> Gary Benson wrote:
> >>We Currently use Jpackage.org for all our Java packages but it seems
> >>that with FC2 onwards there are going to be horrible package
> >>conflicts.
> >

> >At the very least you'll be able to avoid conflicts by simply
> >uninstalling the FC2 Naoko packages.  It's just me working on it at
> >the moment, and my priorities are to get it working first, and to get
> >it working without stomping all over JPackage second ;)
>
> Unless all jpackage packages have a higher epoch or version, simply

Most will have a higher version as the effort making things rhug frienndly
takes a lot of time.

> removing FC2 packages will be problematic to maintain because any
> package management tool (up2date, yum, apt, etc.) will be confused by
> the situation.

This is a really the first test case Fedora Alternatives I think, although to
some extent implemenatations can co-exist with /usr/share/java and symlinks.
The right people seem to be talking on jpackage-discuss - don't panic ;)

Paul