Lobby for the re-inclusion of php-imap (and imap c-client)

Derek P. Moore derekm at hackunix.org
Sat Mar 27 04:05:10 UTC 2004

Howdy,

I'd like to lobby for the re-inclusion of php-imap (and, consequently, imap
c-client [and, if I'm lucky, imap-utils]).

As a user of PHP, it's very inconvenient to be missing such a useful and widely
used piece of PHP.  I'm doubly annoyed as a Horde hacker, as it requires PHP's
c-client functions.

I understand ditching wu-imapd, etc.  But c-client is still very useful,
especially in the PHP world.

Horde is, I believe, one of the most important free software projects out there
at the moment.  Not many people are yet using the development branch of code,
but it has come (and is coming) a long way.  It's thorough, stable, usable,
actively developed, and widely used (at least the old code base is widely
used).  It has a very flexible and extensible framework, and it kicks the asses
of its competitors.

To overlook Horde is a big mistake.  If users have to hack together weird sets
of custom-compiled RPMs to slap Horde on a Fedora box, that's going to annoy a
lot of people as Horde 3.0 is released.

The c-client packages never need to be installed unless someone explicitly wants
them.  imap-devel is required to compile PHP with php-imap turned on, but Red
Hat's build environment should have that on hand.

Normal c-client-ignorant users never need to know that imap-2002e and
imap-devel-2002e are helping to fill up the 500 MB of free space on FC2 disc 4.
   (While we're filling up FC2 disc 4, imap-utils could be useful for people no
matter what IMAP server they're running [especially if they're tryin' to
migrate their old mbox folders to the new Cyrus IMAP server].)

Is this a pipe dream?

Derek