Future: fhs 2.3 compliance for fc3

Wed Mar 31 07:57:57 UTC 2004

Le mar, 30/03/2004 à 15:15 -0800, Shahms King a écrit :

> On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 14:57, seth vidal wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >  looking at fhs 2.3 and thinking about what needs to be done for fc3 -
> > just a few things that people could get working on early:
> >
> > /srv - user data for services not owned by a single specific user there
> > ie:
> >    /srv/www
> >    /srv/vsftpd
> >    /srv/postgresql ?
> >    /srv/mysql ?
> >    /srv/jabberd ?
> >    /srv/bittorrent ?
>
> So . . . remind me how this is different (fundamentally) from /var ?

Well, speaking as a sysadmin here the size and integrity constraints
of /srv are very different from /var. Most of the stuff listed here ends
up in different partitions than /var usually, since your typical /var is
rarely sized to host the 50 GiB ftp server people might want to install
a year from now.

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Mailhot