fedora core 3 goals.

Konstantin Ryabitsev icon at linux.duke.edu
Tue May 4 00:33:58 UTC 2004

Mike Chambers wrote:
> I think Red Hat went out on a limb and went ahead and told everyone what
> was going to happen with changing to Fedora and letting us in on how
> this thing will work in general.

Let me, err, relay how things are looking from outside of RH in the
format everyone will understand...

--- BEGIN IRC LOG ---
      <rh_pr> We are announcing Red Hat Project! A community-based
              distribution!
  <oss_crowd> rh_pr: Neat.
     <rh_dev> rh_pr: Uh... I'm not ready.
            * rh_pr is away: promoting rhel
  <oss_crowd> rh_dev: what do we do?
     <rh_dev> oss_crowd: I'm not sure.
   <rh_legal> rh_dev: don't do anything until I say it's ok.
  <oss_crowd> rh_dev: what can we do to help with Red Hat Project?
     <rh_dev> oss_crowd: uh... file bugs and help test things.
  <oss_crowd> rh_dev: didn't we always do that?
   <rh_sales> hey, all, if you really want a stable system, don't use
              fedora project. It will eat your brane. Buy RHEL instead.
     <rh_dev> rh_sales: stfu
          --- rh_pr removes voice from rh_sales
  <fedora_us> hey, all, check out our neat community-driven system for
              red hat development
  <oss_crowd> fedora_us: ooooh!
      <rh_pr> fedora_us: I like your name
          --- fedora_rh joined the channel
   <rh_legal> much better
      <rh_pr> We are announcing Fedora Project! A community-driven
              distribution!
  <oss_crowd> rh_pr: Neat!
            * fedora_rh waves
  <fedora_us> I'm not dead yet.
  <fedora_rh> fedora_us: don't confuse things.
  <fedora_us> fedora_rh: does this mean we're merging?
  <fedora_rh> fedora_us: maybe
   <rh_legal> fedora_rh: don't do anything until I say it's ok.
          --- fedora_us joined #limbo
  <oss_crowd> fedora_rh: so, what can we do to help?
  <fedora_rh> oss_crowd: uh... file bugs and help test things.
  <oss_crowd> sigh... didn't we always do that?
  <fedora_rh> oss_crowd: I know, let's all go in the circle and say our
              names.
            * oss_crowd goes in the circle and says their names. This
              lasts several months.
  <fedora_rh> So, there will be the following features in the next
              release of Fedora Core.
  <oss_crowd> Uh... Hold on. Who gets to decide?
   <rh_sales> We do. That stuff will be neato for RHEL-4.
  <oss_crowd> MMkay, then. When do _we_ get to suggest things?
  <fedora_rh> oss_crowd: feel free to talk among yourselves.
            * oss_crowd talks among themselves about new features.
  <fedora_rh> btw, feature X will be disabled in the release.
            * oss_crowd glares at fedora_rh
  <oss_crowd> fedora_rh: nice of you to tell us while we were sitting
              here talking.
     <rh_dev> oss_crowd: sorry, it's just not happening.
  <oss_crowd> rh_dev: when do we get to decide what's happening?
     <rh_dev> oss_crowd: Dunno, I'll ask rh_legal
   <rh_legal> rh_dev: ugh, /msg me
   <rh_sales> rh_dev: let's not do anything rash here.
            * fedora_us gets tired of sitting in #limbo
  <oss_crowd> fedora_rh: I want to see more of the "community" part of
              the whole "community-based" thing
  <oss_crowd> rh_dev: how about at least a publicly accessible CVS/SVN
              tree?
     <rh_dev> oss_crowd: Yeah, that would be cool.
  <oss_crowd> rh_dev: finally, some movement. When is that going to be
              up?
            * rh_dev is away: talking to rh_legal
            * oss_crowd tries to occupy themselves and do things like
              fedoranews and fedorapeople.
  <oss_crowd> Uh... ping?
  <fedora_uh> oss_crowd: what's up?
  <oss_crowd> fedora_rh: We're feeling kinda useless. What exactly is our
              role, again?
  <fedora_rh> oss_crowd: well, it would be really helpful if you could
              test some things and file the bugs.
  <oss_crowd> fedora_rh: ugh. We ALWAYS did that.
            * oss_crowd begins to wonder what exactly is the purpose of
              fedora_rh
  <fedora_rh> oss_crowd: it's the open-development, proving-grounds for
              new technology component of Red Hat, as opposed to RHEL.
   <rh_sales> Told ya it'll eat your brane.
          --- rh_pr kicks rh_sales from the channel (you're a dolt)
  <oss_crowd> fedora_rh: so, let me get this straight. Effectively, you
              want us to download the packages you release, test things,
              file bugs, and submit patches.
  <fedora_rh> oss_crowd: Sure, why not?
  <oss_crowd> ...but when it comes to things like features, direction of
              the project, and which software to include in the
              distribution, it's the decision of Red Hat?
            * fedora_rh is away: I AM RH
  <fedora_us> I'm still not dead.
  <oss_crowd> fedora_rh: How is that different from how things were
              before the whole "publicly-supported distribution" thing?
  <oss_crowd> rh_dev: where is that long-promised public CVS/SVN repo?
     <rh_dev> dunno, talk to fedora_rh
  <fedora_rh> oss_crowd: look, such things don't happen in a week, ok?
  <oss_crowd> IT'S BEEN A YEAR!
          --- rh_sales joined the channel
   <rh_sales> EAT YOUR BRAAAAAANE.
  <oss_crowd> /mode +b rh_sales