Help Needed: Readahead Optimization Data

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Tue May 4 21:41:02 UTC 2004

We need your help in order to collect data for readahead service
optimization.  Services readahead_early and readahead read files on a
list into buffer memory in the background during system startup.  By
optimizing both lists, we can make system bootup time faster and more
efficient, with the goal of reaching the gdm login screen in the least
amount of time.

We have provided a modified kernel below, and Markus Lidel has developed
a simple tool and database to collect readahead statistical information.
  We need a wide variety of data from different FC2 latest installations
of desktop, workstation, and server profiles.  We also need data from
both i686 and x86-64 users, as lib64 requires its own readahead lists
due to different file locations.

Data collected in Markus' database will be used on Thursday to compile
the readahead lists that will ship in FC2.

Readahead Data Submission Procedure
===================================
NOTE:
YOU MUST BE RUNNING FC2 LATEST.

1) Install this test kernel.
http://people.redhat.com/wtogami/temp/readahead/
Installing this kernel disables readahead and readahead_early services.
It is IMPORTANT that these services are disabled during your readahead
test boot or results will be wildly inaccurate.
You can be sure they are disabled with:
chkconfig readahead off
chkconfig readahead_early off

2) boot like you would normally, but don't touch the computer for 3 minutes.

3) Run this tool. http://www.shadowconnect.com/redhat/readahead/import.pl

4) Uninstall test kernel.
This step automatically enables both readahead and readahead_early services.

For Optional Offline Operation
------------------------------
If your FC2 latest + test kernel machine does not have an Internet
connection, obtain a dmesg.txt file with the following command:

dmesg -s 524288 > dmesg.txt

Then transfer dmesg.txt to another computer with Internet.  With the
dmesg.txt in the current directory, run the perl script.  The dmesg.txt
will be transfered to the server.

Special thanks to Markus Lidel for working all day on preparing this
easy data collection mechanism.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com