Re: yum feature?!

Le mer, 05/05/2004 Ã 09:34 -0400, Jeff Spaleta a Ãcrit :
> On Wed, 05 May 2004 15:07:19 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot
> <nicolas mailhot laposte net> wrote:
> > Well, apt does it and it's invaluable to detect mirrors which suddenly
> > stop working as fast as they used to.
>
> Let me suggest that saying application X does something as a reason to get
> that feature implemented in application Y isn't how you go about negotiating
> with a developer for a feature for application Y.

Well, I'm not asking to slavishly copy apt. I'm asking to add a feature
that I've found to be very useful when using apt. I'm sure Seth is smart
enough one can use the a* word without ending in /dev/null

> You need to address
> the concern raised by the developer directly. In this case, the
> concern was having so much information being scrolling by that its too
> busy.

I'm afraid even on a local network downloads are not so fast it's
scrolling madly. On a normal broadband link there is not much in yum to
show things are actually progressing and not stuck on a mirror.

Granted, some people might prefer a lighter reporting. But surely
putting this kind of info in debug is a bit of overkill, don't you
think ?

More than cryptic messages users hate stuff that seems stuck doing
nothing. All the daunting apt reporting at least shows magic is
currently happening. (and a lot of people do know how to interpret it
btw)

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Mailhot