k3b as default CD burner

Andrew Farris fedora at andrewfarris.com
Thu May 6 04:32:34 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 14:01 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 13:59, Pyroman[FO] wrote:
> > I understand that, but why isn't it included in the default install as
> > the default burner?  Are there any reasons other than "We don't like KDE"?
> >

> to be brutally honest - k3b is great. It's a whole lot ahead of gtoaster
> in terms of flexibility and obviousness of use.
>
> I install it on my gnome systems b/c chances are I'll need the kde stuff
> anyway.
>
> It probably doesn't need to be in the gnome default for burning b/c
> gnome has nautilus cd burning for a lot of tasks.
>
> but k3b is darned nice.
>
> -sv

IMO gtoaster is far behind k3b and xcdroast in capabilities, it's dated
and removing it is a good thing.  However, making k3b the default for a
gnome only install is no good, and neither is doing the other way
around.  I would like to see k3b and xcdroast used respectively for kde
and gnome only setups as default.  Nautilus cd burning is almost as
useless as Windows XP Explorer integrated cd burning... its a nice
feature to point at and say 'ooh looky there'.

When burning a cd it is usually worthwhile to do so with a well featured
and configurable app.  Using nautilus builtin burning should be the
option for the 'I know this is simple and don't mind all defaults
operation' situations.

--
Andrew Farris, CPE senior (California Polytechnic State University, SLO)
fedora at andrewfarris.com :: lmorgul on irc.freenode.net