project to get desktop items to follow HIG so it can get included in FC3

Kristof Vansant de_lupus at hotmail.com
Thu May 6 09:34:52 UTC 2004

I was thinking: if we just put all the package there Name=, GenericName=,
Comment= lines
(only the english version) on a wiki and let people add a better name,
genericname, etc following the HIG.

http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/1.0/desktop-integration.html

After 2 months the best one's are selected. Then people can start
translating it to there language.
After 3 months after the freezing date. So after there translated. The
results are put in .desktop files and send to the maintainers.
With maintainers I mean the programme and the package maintainers.
This will let other distro's also profit from this effort.

example: send gimp.desktop to gimp fedora and gimp

Wiki example:

xchat.desktop
original:
Name=IRC Client
GenericName=IRC Client
Comment=X-Chat

lupus:
Name=X-Chat IRC Client
GenericName=IRC Client
Comment=For chatting on IRC

PS: if everything goes to plan the new desktop files can be in FC3

Lupus (Kristof Vansant Belgium)