Laptop screen not turning off in ACPI S1

Vibol Hou vibol at khmer.cc
Sat May 8 20:11:58 UTC 2004

Just out of curiousity, I was reviewing the kernel proper for the code
that is executed as the system enters suspend and it appears to be
allocating a VT and switching to it to display debug messages.  This
appears to be causing my screen to switch back on since I have a script
that shuts off my display when I initiate sleep mode (script found at:
http://ltswww.epfl.ch/~dsanta/resources/dell-i8500-linux).  I modified
the script to work with 2.6.

My question is; is it necessary for the kernel to do all this terminal
switching?  I'm tempted to patch the kernel to remove the
allocation/switching/debug code but I'd like to know if this was done
for a reason (other than to output the debug messages).

-Vibol