/proc/ide/ firmware info for CD/DVD writers?

With the older ide-scsi method of accessing cd and dvd writers, we
conveniently found our drive firmware version in /proc/scsi/scsi.
(Important info if you want to use 8x media in your 8x drive it seems. I
still have not seen a good burn at 8x.) I tried looking for it today in
/proc/ide/* without success. Is it elsewhere, or just MIA? How tough to
add it to either 'identity' or 'model', or add a new 'firmware' file?

--
Chris Kloiber